Skip to main content

Anatomy of a Bug Resolution

Given the lousy weather we had yesterday, I took the time to fix up all my photos and import them in f-spot. After having to fix by hand a couple of wrong dates inside the EXIF headers using exiv2, maxxer told me (about at the same time when I saw that f-spot started crashing ...) that my wedding pictures would crash f-spot. After having identified at least one of the problematic photos, I tried setting up a smaller test-case without f-spot, in order to have a simple example to give to the libexif developers (the crash was inside the libexif lib obviously). Initially I could reproduce the issue with gexif, just by loading the exif tags and then saving them back : I would see the amount of RAM growing until the OOM would kick in and kill the app. Then I set up an even smaller testcase and sent it to the libexif list. And this morning, I had already gotten a mail from Jan Patera which checked in a fix for libexif. I tried it out and no more crashes. #382382 is nailed :-)


Comments powered by Disqus