Skip to main content

Spice on Linux

Found a good link on how to get Spice on linux working. Just needed libxaw7-dev and off we go. On other fronts, had quite a harsh day at work. Which made me forget a couple of things I absolutely need to get done by this week-end.


Had tortillas patadas tonight. My headache still hasn't left though..didn't get much done today unfortunately. Just rewrote the pdf layer of an old app I wrote, so I don't have to depend on PDF Lib any longer. Quite embarassing code I wrote there.

America's snoring - Grant Lee Buffalo (Fuzzy)


Here's a little recipe I normally use to put the usual crap attachments into it's own folder:

# Testing zone
# here's a recipe, all credits go to Philip Guenther, I've just added
# extensions I need to filter to his regexp.
# The regexp for matching whitespace in the embedded header field
# of a multipart message.  We have to handle wrapped lines.
ws = '[     ]*($[   ]+)*'
# The regexp for matching 'anything' inside an embedded header
# field of a multipart message.  That is, it matches anything
# except the newline (not followed by a whitespace character)
# that terminates the header field.
dotstar = '.*($[    ].*)*'
# A single double-quote.  For use in variable expanded regexps to
# avoid problems related to how procmail implements the variable
# expansion
dq = '"'
# Any condition that uses any of these variables in a its regexp
# must have the '$' special before the regexp to tell procmail to
# do variable expansion on the regexp.
# That matches if there exists a embedded Content-whatever header field
# whose value, ignoring legal whitespace, matches the regexp
#   .*name="filename"
ext = '.(scr|vbs|shs|bat|com|exe|pif|pps|avi|mpg|mpeg|doc)'
SUBJ_=`formail -xSubject:
| expand | sed -e 's/^[ ]*//g' -e 's/[ ]*$//g'`
# Here i put the mails with [BAD Attachment] in their folder since
# otherwise we'd have a massive loop
#* ^Subject:*BAD Attachment*
:0 B
* $ ^Content-(Type|Disposition)*:${dotstar}name${ws}=${ws}${dq}.*${ext}${dq}
:0 fwh
| formail -I"Subject: [BAD Attachment] ${SUBJ_}"


Played a bit with my silc python bindings. Now the test app can connect to a server. There are quite a few things I need to think through before going on and implement all the necessary methods. Not so much time to play with them though.

Burned a DVD+R with some stuff I wanted to get off the hard drive of my file server, whose network card decided it'd be cool to not work at 100Mbps any longer.

Off to study.

Dvd firmware upgrade

Upgraded the firmware of my NEC1300-A to the latest official release (1.09). I still need to burn something, but for now I'll stick to the official firmware. I'll play with the hacked version that floats around the net later sometime.

Pcmcia wireless on powerbook

Finally configured my pcmcia wireless card (Asus wl100) :

apt-src import kernel --location=/devel/kernel/2.4/linux/ --version=2.4.24
cd /devel/kernel/2.4/linux/
apt-src --installdebs install linux-wlan-ng

Had to fix /etc/pcmcia/config.opts, since kernel oopses if you use th x86 standard ports:

include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x1000-0x17ff
include memory 0x80000000-0x80ffffff

exclude irq 1
exclude irq 2
exclude irq 19
exclude irq 20
exclude irq 25
exclude irq 26
exclude irq 27
exclude irq 28
exclude irq 41
exclude irq 42
exclude irq 47
exclude irq 55
exclude irq 51

Relevant /etc/network/interfaces:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless_mode managed
#wireless_mode ad_hoc
#wireless_channel 1
#wireless_essit ''

Serial port

Finally took some time configuring a firewall out of an old box of mine. Took me ages since I only had two sane floppies around and Debian requires six for a net install (I hope the next Debian Installer will be saner in this regard). This is the relevant grub configuration:

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
terminal --timeout=5 serial console
title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.24-i586-0.1
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.4.24-i586-0.1 root=/dev/hda3 ro
console=tty1 console=ttyS1,9600

Mark Lanegan - Whiskey for the Holy Ghost


back at work. Had a blast for new year's eve. Photos are up. Now installed a new kernel and finally made DRI work. Tomorrow is a day off. I'm behind schedule with just about every project. blah